The LOYALTY of NED is the latest release from The Wanted Series, a super premium range of Australian whiskies from the NED Barrel House.
Ned always showed fierce loyalty to his family and those who supported his cause.
Inspired by this loyalty, this release is a celebration of commitment and holding true to a daring, bold plan. Bringing NED Whisky from the idea to the bottle needed daring and loyalty from those who backed us to bring that vision to life.
All those early supporters were given their own 20-litre barrel of whisky in 2019 when we launched our dedicated NED Whisky distillery in Campbellfield. But before we sent barrels out to the NED family and friends, we had to test it!
Almost three years ago, we trialed aging NED in 20-litre American oak casks. Together with some of our 200-litre virgin American oak, and some quirky 500-litre European oak, its these Origin casks have been blended to make Batch 4 of The Wanted Series, Loyalty!
All three are masterfully combined to create a bold, fresh and distinctive whisky that demands satisfaction. Want to own your own 20-litre barrel of premium whisky & become one of our most loyal fans?
The LOYALTY of NED also celebrates opening up the loyalty barrel program to everyone. We have made available a selection of 20-litre virgin American oak barrels, filled with NED new make spirit at 50% ABV. You can follow the maturation of the barrel over the next two to three years, as it ages towards the same bold flavours you taste in NED Loyalty.
Loyalty is an oak bomb of a whisky, big bold tannin, mellowed with vanilla and caramel, before a long finish of dark chocolate and orange. Powerful, daring, bold, loyal.
Aroma: Rich sweet dry fruit and spiced oak
Taste: Bold aged savoury / spiced oak, silk vanilla, caramel and fruit tones
Finish: Dry and soft heat finish, complex yet balanced.
Gold 2021: Australian Distilled Spirits Awards
ABOUT THE DESIGN
- The illustration is an interpretation of a Kelly Family crest
- The eight stars refer to the Kelly family’s 8 children
- The shovel and miner’s pick reference Ned’s father John and his early gold prospecting that enabled him to purchase the property in Beveridge where Ned was born, and the family’s working of the land.
- The central illustration serves a dual role. On one hand it is the end of a barrel, referencing the Kelly Gang’s link with whisky distilling while on the run. It also double as depiction of prison bars.
- The ‘Free the Innocent Kelly’ refer to Ellen Kelly, Ned’s mum.
We hand select the barrels to bring power and elegance to the final bottle. New American oak is punchy, powerful, and rich. European oak is structured, with dry tannin and elegance. The American oak barrels give up generous oak sweetness and loads of wood flavours. The 500-litre European oak age more slowly, giving mellower spirit, less intense oak, but allow the higher fruit notes to shine.